Dallam Tower Estate in Milnthorpe to rebuild damaged deer shelter

ARRESTS have been made in connection to a fire at a historic building near Milnthorpe.

Last April, fire crews from Kendal and Milnthorpe were called to a blaze at the Buck House deer shelter on the Dallam Tower Estate in Milnthorpe.

Cumbria constabulary have given an update to the case. In a statement they said: “As part of the police’s enquiries, four males and two females, between the ages of 13-16, all local, were arrested on suspicion of arson.

“They have all since been released under investigation.

“Enquiries remain ongoing and the police are still appealing for information.”

The 300-year-old structure suffered significant damage but was not completely destroyed.

The building could soon be brought back into use says Julian Oston from Dallam Tower Estate. He said: “The Estate is certainly proposing to rebuild this building.”

Plans submitted to South Lakeland District Council (SLDC), show that the majority of the floor beams and a significant proportion of the floor joist will be retained in the repaired building.

The plans say: “A new door will replicate a former door lost in fire. Also, a door has been reclaimed following the fire and will be reused. Repointing work will also be undertaken in lime mortar, with the colour to match existing.”

The report states that: “The Buck House is a grade II listed building, which is used as an animal shelter by the stock in the deer park, including cattle, sheep and the resident herd of deer. In additional to its functional use, the Buck House is an iconic building which is visible both from the A6 on the far side of the River Bela.”

SLDC will meet next on July 29 and will hear a full report which states that; ‘On 26 April 2021, a fire destroyed the high level roof and sections of the floor of the Buck House. The roof was entirely destroyed by the fire with debris remaining on the upper floor. In some locations, particularly at the seats of the fire, the floor was significantly damaged.’

Local councillors were said to be upset after the fire occurred. Councillor Pete McSweeney, who represents Arnside and Milnthorpe ward on (SLDC), thought it was a shame that this happened. Jen Scrogham, vice chair of Milnthorpe Parish Council, said: it was devastating and hoped it will get repaired.

The Westmorland Gazette | News