Man drunk in charge of car by A590 told police ‘I’ll rape your wife’

A MAN found drunk in charge of a car on the side of the A590 later threatened to sexually assault and stab a police officer’s wife, a court heard.

Adam Mulvey was arrested by police after being seen behind the wheel of a car in a layby on the road, a court heard.

The 30-year-old was said to have been reported to the police by his partner, who had been driving the vehicle before an argument broke out between the pair.

Mulvey, of Market Street in Ulverston, admitted being drunk in charge of a vehicle and resisting police officers.

He also admitted failing to provide a specimen of breath to police having been suspected of drink driving in a separate incident.

Peter Bardsley told the court how on August 16 Mulvey was travelling with his partner when they had a row and stopped by the side of the A590 near Greenodd at around 4.30pm.

Mulvey was sat in the driver’s seat when police arrived and asked to get out of the car.

“Mr Mulvey became aggressive towards the officers and was put in the back of a police vehicle,” Mr Bardsley said.

“He kicked out at the police officers.

“He was taken to the police station. On the way he said to the officers: “I will rape your wife. I will stab your wife.

“He says he was upset at getting arrested.”

The court heard Mulvey had 85 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, over the legal driving limit of 35.

He was said to have told officers he was trying to make the car ‘go’ when he was sat in the driver’s seat.

In another incident on November 23, Mulvey was seen in the Farmer’s Arms pub in Market Street by a witness. Shortly after he was seen driving erratically in his car on the street when the witness was in the Piel Castle pub.

He was arrested by police but refused to provide a sample of breath for analysis. When asked if he had a medical reason not to provide a sample, he showed his middle finger to officers, Mr Bardsley said.

In mitigation, Andy Gallagher said following the argument Mulvey had expected his partner to come back to the car and continue driving.

He said Mulvey did not entirely recall what happened but did not dispute the facts put forward by the prosecution.

“He pleads guilty at the earliest opportunity,” Mr Gallagher said.

After hearing about his background from the Probation Service, magistrates sentenced Mulvey to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for two years.

He was also ordered to carry 200 hours of unpaid work and 30 rehabilitation activity day.

He was banned from driving for four and a half years.

The Westmorland Gazette | News