Man who threatened to kill paramedics avoids jail at Barrow’s court

A PROLIFIC offender who threatened to kill paramedics and then himself avoided prison after magistrates gave him ‘a chance’.

Craig Adams, who has more than 400 previous convictions, was brought to court to be sentenced for breaching an order banning him from contacting medical services unless in a genuine emergency.

South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court heard the 46-year-old Barrow man threatened a doctor after he was refused a plea for urgent medication on October 9 last year.

Adams breached a criminal behaviour order for the fifth time in doing so, the court heard.

Prosecutor Peter Bardsley said the GP online was unable to grant his request for medication at around 9pm on the day.

He said: “Mr Adams then became threatening.

“He said ‘if you don’t get my medication I’ll call 999 and kill the paramedics and then kill myself’.”

Adams, of Salthouse Road, was found guilty of the offence in a trial that he did not attend. He admitted failing to surrender to court.

In mitigation, Trystan Roberts said Adams had been ‘struggling a great deal’ with his mental health and alcohol addiction.

“He was in some distress and in significant pain and in need of medication,” he said.

“He doesn’t recall making these empty threats.

“There wasn’t any intention to carry out any threats of any nature.

“They are unpleasant. Nobody needs to have this said to the during the course of their work.

“They are the words of a desperate man in need of significant pain relief.”

Mr Roberts said the defendant would ‘suffer’ if he were sent to prison.

In sentencing Adams, chair of the bench Sharon Gillam said: “We feel this offence is so serious that a custodial sentence is appropriate.

“However we’re going to suspend that custodial sentence for the fact that you’ve not reoffended since the last occasion.

“We’re giving you an opportunity to not be back in this court again.

“We’re giving you this chance. Please don’t let us down.”

Adams was jailed for 16 weeks suspended for a year.

He was told to complete a 16-week 6pm to 6am curfew.

The Westmorland Gazette | News