A major Cumbria road has been closed due to a serious crash.
Diversions and closures are in place as emergency services attend the crash on the A590 at Newby Bridge and motorists have been advised to avoid the area. The road is currently blocked between the A592 and A6 with South Lakes Police warning that the closure may be in place for some time.
Cumbria Police, North West Ambulance Service and Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service were all called to the scene on Sunday morning. A police spokesperson warned: “The road is currently closed and may be for some time. Please avoid the area.”
A National Highways spokesperson said: “If this closure impacts on your planned route, please allow extra journey time. Plan ahead, you may wish to re-route or even delay your journey.” Diversions are in place as follows:
Eastbound (follow route marked out with a hollow square symbol on local road signs):
- At Newby Bridge roundabout take first exit onto A592 towards Bowness and Windermere
- At mini-roundabout in Bowness take second exit onto the A5074 towards Windermere town centre
- At junction of A5074 and A591, turn right onto A591 eastbound
- Continue on A591 past Kendal towards Brettargh Holt
Westbound (follow route marked out with a solid circle symbol on local road signs):
- At Brettargh Holt join the A591 travelling north past Kendal
- Continue on Windermere Road (A591) towards Windermere
- At Windermere turn left into High Street towards town centre
- Take first exit at mini-roundabout and continue on towards Bowness via A592
- Exit Bowness and continue south on the A592
- Re-join A590 at Newby Bridge