Walker flown to hospital from Scafell Pike thanks emergency services

Anna Harrison was camping in Wasdale for the weekend with her husband Jamie when the pair decided to scale Scafell Pike.

The couple, who live in Newcastle under Lyme, had successfully reached the top by lunchtime when they began their descent.

However events took a turn for the worst when Anna lost her footing on Piers Gill, injuring her ankle.

The 49-year-old, who owns a children’s day nursery, said: “My foot went one way and my knee went the other. My knee popped out of place. I tried to get up to walk but kept giving way.

“At that point I realised I’m not going to get down on my own. It was just me and my husband walking.

“A couple of years ago I fell and broke my ankle and this injury felt similar. I did a few steps but it kept giving way, it felt like my ligaments were coming off my kneecap.”

The pair was unable to find phone signal to call emergency services – and had growing concerns about the route turning dark in less than a few hours.

The Westmorland Gazette: Anna Harrison up Scafell Pike on Friday February 11 before suffering a leg injuryAnna Harrison up Scafell Pike on Friday February 11 before suffering a leg injury (Image: Newsquest)

“We really didn’t want to be up there in the dark,” Anna said.

“My husband left to try and get some signal and managed to get one bar and rang the emergency services.

“They contacted the mountain rescue team and they sent a text message to find out our exact location.”

A coastguard helicopter was then dispatched to the couple’s location but was unable to land due to the unlevel terrain.

Mountain rescue volunteers from Wasdale and Duddon and Furness were called to assist with the rescue.

Team members reached Anna and Jamie at around 4pm and swiftly attended to her injured leg.

Anna said: “Five of them came up and they put me in a full leg splint. It was so frustrating because we were nearly back down.

“They were amazing and so reassuring. They knew exactly what they were doing. There was no way I would’ve got down without them. It’s hard to think I could’ve been stuck up there without their help.

“We’re so grateful to them, I kept saying ‘I’m so sorry’ when they arrived. They do a fantastic job.

“It could’ve been a lot worse.”

The Westmorland Gazette: Anna was airlifted to hospitalAnna was airlifted to hospital (Image: Newsquest)

Anna was then airlifted to West Cumberland hospital and told she had damaged her knee ligament, which may take up to six weeks to fully heal.

She said: “The care there was brilliant as well. It was really quick and I was soon discharged.

“They put a splint on my knee and told me to get lots of rest.”

Anna and Jamie have given a donation to mountain rescue and plan to send a hamper to thank them for their service.

The Westmorland Gazette | News